Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Latest Sewing Project

Here is my latest sewing project. It's a gift for a long time friend who is having her first granddaughter in September. The original pattern included a collar but I chose to leave it off. I liked the look without the collar and I find sometimes collars can get in the way on an infant.


This is the pattern I used. It also includes a bubble version for boys and girls in 6, 12, 18 and 24 months.

Everything I've sewn lately has been for my epatterns so this was a nice break from that process. I really enjoy the fast and simple sewing projects for instant gratification but sometimes I like sewing something more involved.


I seem to have pleats in my head lately with the Emily Pattern (see Etsy and YCMT) and this smocked one. I have some other ideas for epatterns which include pleats that I am considering working on next. When I design epatterns, I am usually inspired by something I see then I have to have a picture of it in my head before beginning. Once I have a visual idea of what I want it to look like, I try testing it with some fabric. Sometimes it looks like I pictured it and sometimes it doesn't. It's great when it works. Then I can move on to drawing and writing the instructions. If it doesn't, then it's back to the drawing board. The entire process is enjoyable for me and so very satisfying when the finished product is complete, especially seeing what customers make.

No comments: