Thursday, July 26, 2007

Smocked Bonnets

Smocked bonnets are fun and easy to make and a great beginner project for someone learning to smock. Here is a link to some instructions I found on the internet. My instructions used on these came from a book I got when I took a smocking class years ago.



For the front edge of these, instead of lace, I used a rolled hem. The rolled hem adds another handmade touch to the bonnet. All of the items pictured are made from white Imperial Batiste. I like using this fabric for infants because it is so soft next to their skin. The ribbon rosette is just a short piece of ribbon sewn together to form a circle. Then add a gathering stitch along one side and pull up to form a flower. Hand sew it over the edge of the ribbon ties.






These last two pictures or of a matching bishop and bonnet.







No comments: